43rd Annual Martindale Triathlon Oct. 30, 2021
The Martindale Tri is reputed to be the oldest triathlon in Texas. It is brought to you by the Texas Canoe and Kayak Racing Association. It is unique in that the swim leg has been replaced by a paddle leg (canoe, kayak, or SUP) down the beautiful San Marcos River. The Tri kicks off with a 7-mile run through the quaint little town of Martindale, TX. Next up is the bike, which covers 16.5 miles of rolling hills just outside of Martindale and Staples. Finally, a 5.5 mile paddle from Shady Grove Campground (aka Spencer Canoes) down to the 1977 bridge in Staples. Sign up solo, as a two-person team (one person runs, the other bikes, and both paddle together in a 2-person boat) or as a three-person relay (one person per leg).
Safety briefing video here:
Detailed map of the course: https://www.plotaroute.com/routecollection/4575?units=miles
Covid Updates (probably will remain very similar to what we did in 2020):
The 2021 Martindale Triathlon is going to do everything we can to minimize contact while hosting the race. Here are the changes we know of so far (we may add more):
- Registration for the 2021 Triathlon will be online only. There will be no race day registration. Registration will end on Thursday, Oct 29th at midnight or as soon as we reach our max entrants.
- The race briefing will be held online on Friday, October 29th at 6pm on our Martindale Triathlon facebook page (we will do a facebook live–it can also be a q&a if you have questions). There will be a shorter race briefing on the morning of the race. The facebook live briefing will be posted and can be watched afterwards if for some reason you are unable to watch it at 6pm. Here’s the FB page link: https://www.facebook.com/Martindale-Triathlon-Oct-31-2020-871855829569749
- You must wear a face mask prior to the start of the race unless you are greater than 6′ away from others. This means you must wear one to pick up your race number, tshirt, and drop off your liability insurance waiver. You must also wear a face mask any time you are not able to comply with the social distancing rules (i.e. in the transition area).
- We will be emailing out the liability waivers the week prior to the race–you will be responsible for printing, filling it out, and dropping it off the morning of the race.
- We are requiring you to check your temperature the morning before you leave your house for the race (obviously, if you have even a slight fever, we will give you a full refund to stay home). Our group includes high-risk people (we are going to assume you will help keep us safe by assessing your risk for infecting others).
Visit our facebook page for the Tri here. This is where we will have the facebook live race briefing on Friday, Oct 29th at 6pm.
Online registration will open in the summer.
- 6pm on Friday, Oct 29 – Martindale Triathlon Facebook Live race briefing
Race Day Schedule – Saturday, October 30, 2021 @ Shady Grove Campground
- 7:00am – 8:45am Race packet pickup-All racers must turn in signed insurance waivers (We are using Paddlesport Risk Management. Waivers will be emailed the week prior to the race.)
- 9:00am Race start (with social distancing)
Divisions are: Men’s, women’s, mixed (tandem and relay), and masters (over 40–all team members must be over 40 to compete in masters) in each class (solo, tandem, and relay). Solo racers do all three activities (Run, Bike, Paddle), Tandem teams
Start: Shady Grove Campground, 9515 FM 1979, Martindale, TX
Finish Line: Staples Bridge FM 1977
Here is a map of the course:
Race will start at 9:00 am Saturday. There is no race day registration.
Need to rent a canoe or kayak? Call Holly at Paddle With Style.
Camping is also available at Shady Grove Campground. Please call them at (512) 357-6113 to make a reservation.
Special thanks to our 2020 sponsors!!
If you are interested in sponsoring the 2021 race (and having your logo on our webpage, shirts, and flyers), please contact our race director, Patty Geisinger: email@example.com